The thunderstorm early this morning sounded like a coffee pot brewing. I think thunderstorms have become my favorite thing about Orlando. During the summer, there's a storm nearly every afternoon. Sometimes they come on unexpectedly, clouds forming before you even realize it. The lightening is beautiful. On occasion you'll get a lightening storm, one where the lightening is concentrated in just a few clouds, but there's no thunder or rain. After it rains here, there's a brief moment where everything is cool and the humidity dissipates. Of course, after that brief moment the humidity comes back with a vengeance, since everything is so moist. Still, I much prefer the rainy days to the sweltering Florida sun. I honestly don't know why they call this the 'Sunshine State', it's overcast so often. The oranges are a lie, too. Florida oranges are really only good for juice, and only when they're in season. Everywhere you go to buy oranges they're always California grown.
There are times I feel like an implant that's been rejected, a seed that can't flourish in this environment. I wasn't meant to live in Florida, I don't think. Most things seem like a weak comparison to their California counterparts. There are definitely things I have come to enjoy here, though.
Downtown, there are quite a few lakes. I think my favorite is Lake Eola. Every Sunday there's a market, and it actually feel like the city is alive with something other than cheesy tourism. There are black swans on the lake, art sculptures and museums and shops surrounding it. The library is down the street. It's four floors, and has the biggest cd section I've ever seen in a library.
On Wednesday's there are food truck pods. Goat tacos, be still my ..growling stomach? There's a bazaar on some Sundays, but I never have the time off to go check it out.
What I enjoy doing most is baking at my apartment, and thinking about how, when I get back, I'll bake for everyone else too. Looking forward to coming home, and creating new things.
Sorry this wasn't really about Disney, but oh well. I'm off-stage, I don't feel like being a cast-member right now. ; )
~Cheers
Listening to: Angeles by: Elliott Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment