Saturday, September 10, 2011

Good News Is On The Way

It's 03:00. I have a slight feeling that a certain Marine is going to verbally jump down my throat in the..oh, it's already morning. Later on today, then. Currently, I am sitting waiting for my four individual banana cakes to bake. One for each room mate; including the new room mate scheduled to arrive in six or so hours.

This post is brought to you by anxiety. Anxiety, meet insomnia. I have a feeling you'll get along swell. Though, in all honesty, the anxiety is quite mild. Most of it has been baked out, if not drowned by drowsiness and herbal tea.

The last few days have been a proper mess. For two nights on, the Magic Kingdom has been host to a Christian festival called the Night of Joy. I would say more on it, except I don't really know too much about it. What it meant for those of us at the prison; is that we closed early. As in 16:30 (4pm) as opposed to 22:00. This should have meant that everyone involved, morning and late shift, would get shorter shifts that day. Simple, easy day, right? Except, as per usual, the kitchen was chaos. No one actually told the night shift (including myself) that we were coming in early, or even that we were closing as early as we did. What this led to, was everyone showing up at once, late, and having to figure out what we were supposed to do. The next day should have been sorted. Except, not. We still ended up with too many people in an already crowded kitchen, and schedules being messed, and what have you. /sigh
Though, it did make for a rather hilarious, screw it all mentality. Oh, we don't have any prep? No dinner, just lunch? No break? No one has a clue? Screw it. C'est la vie. So was the experience of the Night of Joy.

In other, better news, the school non-sense has been tackled! Persistence is key. Really. I think they were simply worn down by my constant correspondence. So, I can now complete my degree at my leisure through online courses.

What this really means, though,  is that I am now less than two weeks from working at the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival! If it doesn't sound exciting enough on it's own, here's some more info about it. In 2008, they hosted the USA Bocuse d'or. Which is about as prestigious as you can get as far as culinary competitions go. This is what I came here for. I'm counting down the days.

Of course, I'll probably be even more of a slave. But oh, what a willing slave I'll be.

Things I have discovered about myself during my time in Florida:

-I love loud thunder
-I want to test my emergency readiness..though I have a feeling I would flail and fail miserably
-I love British music, and British slang. In fact, living in the UK for a time seems like a grand idea.
-I'm a simple creature. I'm also quite romantic. (If only in my head)
-I want to make the world a better place, even if it's only by putting a smile on someone's face as they enjoy a good bite of food.
-My new favorite word is spectacular

Enough time killing. Ding, cake is done. Success!

Sleeping would be productive. Should not greet new room mate as a zombie, me thinks.

~Cheers

Listening to: Float On by: Modest Mouse

..huh, the time's all wrong..

No comments:

Post a Comment